Monday 16 December 2013

x. Blogmas: Day 3! - The Ultimate Christmas Movie Fest – Part One. .x.


Presents and alcohol aside, Christmas to me is synonymous with curling up on the sofa with a hot chocolate and watching a festive heart-warming movie. I could happily hibernate under a cosy blanket and watch a Christmas movie marathon for hours on end. I seem to watch more or less the same films every year, though would you believe I have never seen It's a Wonderful Life? I know...I'm ashamed of myself.

In no special order, here are some of my favourite movies to get me in the festive mood:

  
 
1. Jingle all the Way – 1996– Dir. Brian Levant

Arnold Swartziniffle-piffle leaves his Christmas present shopping for his young son 'til Christmas Eve (ring any bells?) and is faced with the prospect of leaving his little boy very disappointed when he realises that the one gift his son so desires, is the most popular gift that year and has sold out everywhere! Predictable but nonetheless entertaining hilarity ensues with poor Arnie running all over town in a desperate bid to make his son smile on Christmas day! This is definitely less girly than most movies on this list, is good for a giggle and makes me sigh with relief that I am far more organised than big ole' Arnie!
 
 

2.  Christmas Angel – 2009 – Dir. Brian Brough

I discovered this movie back when I lived at my parents' and had Sky Movies on an idle weekend flicking through the channels and it has become a must-see each year since. The story focusses on Ashley, a woman leading a very guarded and somewhat unfortunate life. Her only friends are her dog and her neighbour. Things change when she receives an intriguing job offer from her surprisingly filthy rich neighbour and learns what it means to be truly selfless, to let people in and how to deal with unimaginable loss. This makes me cry, year in, year out.






 

3. Jack Frost - 1998 - Dir. Troy Miller
 
This one is a very weird one, I remember watching Jack Frost when I was around 10 years old and then running down the stairs to tell my mum and dad that I didn't want them to die! A comedy with very sad undertones, a young teenage boy's father is killed in a car accident whilst rushing home for Christmas. The following year, the boy makes a snowman and plays a magic harmonica which sees his father's spirit reincarnated in the form of the snowman. They join forces to beat high school bullies and perfect a hockey trick shot, before Dad has to go back to where he now belongs. *SNIFF SNIFF*
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
4. Olive the Other Reindeer - 1999 - Dir. Steve Moore
 
For the last few years, I believe this has been on the T.V. on Christmas morning and it always makes me smile. It's an animation, so ideal for the little ones in your life. Drew Barrymore voices a little dog (I think she's supposed to be a Jack Russell) who loves Christmas and is dismayed to hear that due to an injured reindeer, Santa has cancelled his annual Christmas present "tour". She overhears on the message on the radio and mistakes the line in Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer "all of the other reindeer" to mean "Olive the other reindeer" and sets out to save Christmas! GO POOCH, GO!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
5. Love Actually - 2003 - Dir. Richard Curtis
 
 
This is the film I feel I could write the most about, but think needs least explanation. For the minority who have not seen, there are 8 different love stories in one here - all lives interlinking with one another and all set in the run up to Christmas. It's cheesy as hell but such a fantastic movie. Highlights include Mark turning up at Juliet's door with the placards - I swear I felt my heart shattering. And "Joanna's" performance at the school Christmas show. *Did you know that the actress Olivia Olson's voice was so good that the director had to rough up the recording to make it sound more like a child singing* WOW - Love fest! #Note - if you want to encourage your mister to watch this with you, tell him there are a few lady lumps exposed for his pleasure throughout.
 
 
 
 
Stay tuned for Part 2 of My Ultimate Christmas Movies...
 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a little comment, and make my day! :) xx